The Cheery children education centre was founded in 2009 and it’s situated in the heart of the Kibera slums in Nairobi Kenya. Kibera slums houses about 1.5 Million people making it the biggest slum in Africa and one of the biggest in the world. The sole purpose of the centre is to serve children from vulnerable families in Kenya especially those living in Kibera slum in Nairobi. It’s not simply a centre for those vulnerable and hungry children but a place where character is nurtured and hope given to the children. We espouse the fact that Education is the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another and it’s the focus of CCEC and it remains one of our goals to remain true to the fact that quality and affordable education is more than a luxury; it is a responsibility that the society owes to itself. Children are the country’s greatest resource and represent hope for a better future. Profound poverty, competition for scarce resources, local conflicts, addictions and lack of educational opportunities put these children at extreme risk for illiteracy, illness, hopelessness, sexual abuse and the meagre resources accessible is the common definition of the urban poor child living in the Kenyan slums. Few opportunities exist for the children of Kibera slum and the other surrounding slums that allow them to learn and grow to their full potential.
To bring out the potential skills and knowledge in the young people, to be used in our country and the world at large. To quench the thirst for education in the children for a better tomorrow.
To transform the society through a holistic form of education involving spiritual, mental and physical, that will see the Centre grow into a beacon of change
This goal will be supported by a focus on six key areas.
- Establish a well-equipped education centre with the relevant technology to promote a competitive edge in a fast paced globalizing world
- Enhanced Outreach, Evangelism and Discipleship to raise and nurture God fearing and responsible and well-rounded students
- Provide material and financial support to the vulnerable children at CCEC
- Provision of affordable quality education
- Skills training for children and the youth and promote enhanced organizational capacity, and building a strong financial resource base
- Establish a sustainable feeding program for the CCEC children.
The Specific objectives will lead the centre to establish the following
- Education Centre
- Recreational centre equipped with technology to serve the students and community.
- Library equipped with relevant books for empowerment.
- Projects that will support the centre to be self-sustainable.
- Health Facilities to fight malnutrition in the Kibera slum and it environs